Monday 9 June 2008

It's going back to the shop!!

Picture the scene... Player Dad is checking e-mail and looking up a couple of items on eBay (Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance and Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence... yeah, the MGS4 previews have given me the bug!) whilst the kids sit alongside Player Dad playing Lego Indiana Jones on the Wii.

Player Boy is six and loves video games and Yu-Gi-Oh. Player Girl is five and loves princesses and dresses. Consequently, due to their age differences and different interests they don't always see eye to eye. They are also not at a comparable level when it comes to playing video games, with Player Boy streets ahead in terms of ability.

They are tackling a tricky puzzle in one of the early Temple of Doom levels and Player Boy is giving directions to Player Girl. He's becoming increasingly frustrated and his voice is getting higher and louder as he does so. Player Girl isn't helping matters, I am fairly sure she could do better than she was, but she seems to treat the whole thing as... well, a game I suppose! It all reaches a climax with Player Boy announcing that he's not going to play if she won't do it properly, he promptly pulls up the menu and drops out of the game, leaving Player Girl wailing for help.

"RIGHT!!" I'd had enough of the bickering. I cancelled a cheap pre-order (Amazon) for Lego Indy for my 360 and ordered the more expensive Wii version (Play) specifically so Player Girl and Player Boy could play it together and enjoy it, seeing as the 360 is off limits to them both. "I stabbed the eject button and pulled out the disc, stuffing it into the case.

"It's going back to the shop tomorrow, I've had enough of you two, if you can't play it together without fighting there is no point in having it!"

This lead to 15 minutes of non-stop wailing by Player Girl (she has an impressive set of lungs!) and a walk out by Player Boy. After those 15 minutes had elapsed I got the two of them together and said I wouldn't take the game back if they could show me that they could play nicely together.

They went back to the Wii and opted not to continue with Lego Indy but instead to play a little Wii Sports and then some Super Smash Bros Melee on the Cube. They did it very nicely and all was right with the world.

Oh, and I won an auction for Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance. Yay!

No comments: